When it comes to engineering streams, the traditional streams, civil, computer engineering, electronics, mechanical comes to mind. These streams have been the choice of students for years. However, now there are many new engineering streams to choose from. There are immense job opportunities and scope for growth in all the streams. This gives rise to a new problem, that is choosing the right stream.
India is a country where students are pressured to pick up a stream that is deemed right for them by their parents or teachers. In such cases, in the long term, students get burned out in that stream because they do not have the passion or interest for it. It is really important to do some groundwork and research well before choosing a stream. To help the engineering students in choosing the right bachelor of engineering course, some tips and step by step guide have been outlined below.
Tips to choose an Engineering stream
Choosing the right engineering stream is an important decision. There are finances involved that would decide the career of the student majorly. It is wrong to choose a stream only on the basis of higher salary packages or massive scope. The aspirant’s interest also matters along with other factors. Described below are some tips to keep in mind while choosing an engineering stream.
Interest over scope: One important tip while choosing an engineering stream is to go for your interests. There is a massive scope and opportunities in all engineering BE streams. It is also essential to not be pressured into choosing a stream just by swaying with the recommendations of friends and family. Having an interest in a field would enable one to advance in their career.
Branch vs. College: When choosing college and branches, one area that students are confused over is to opt for a branch or a college that has a high brand value. Students are advised to do research regarding available facilities, specialisations, course cost,
placements etc for all the branches. Also, look at the present faculty and their experience level before narrowing down the institutes.
Post-graduation course options: The chosen engineering stream should also have ample opportunities for postgraduate studies. Individuals should check if the Indian universities offer masters degrees in the same specialisation. Alternatively, it should also be looked into if a masters degree in Management or other specialisation would benefit the candidate.
Career path: Another important tip that aspiring engineering students should consider is to look into the career path of the particular engineering stream. There are a few questions one should consider such as – What are the type of job roles a particular stream will offer, What are the other branches that the individual can work in, salary range, required skill set etc. If the research done resonates then the said stream can be chosen.
Guide to choose an Engineering stream
There is no fixed step by step guide that can work for all engineering aspirants. Each student has their own requirements from a programme. Also, the career path and salary range for different engineering streams would also matter. Listed below is a description of some pointers that students can refer to while choosing an engineering stream.
● Specialisation choice: Engineering programmes have various streams today. More and more new specialisations are constantly being added. The top BE colleges in Mumbai offer traditional concentrations like Civil, Computer engineering, Mechanical, Artificial Intelligence and Data Science, Mechatronics and more niche concentrations. Listing down all specialisations that seem interesting and research about each stream is a good point to start. Institutes like TERNA Nerul in Mumbai have several engineering streams to choose from. Read through all the available specialisations, scope and growth through online articles and forums.
● Shortlist colleges: With a specialisation narrowed down, start looking up colleges that offer that particular engineering specialisation. Based on the education level, look up for available bachelors and masters courses. The list of colleges can be random and later narrowed down based on different factors.
● Placements: From the shortlisted college, perform research on them. Look up the placements for the colleges. Past placement records can be looked up from the official website. Details like number of visiting companies, number of placed students, highest, lowest and the average placement packages should be noted down. From this step, some colleges can be removed from the list.
● Course fees and costs: Next, look up the course cost and other associated fees. Engineering courses are generally expensive and involve several costs. If one wishes to stay in the on-campus hostel facilities, look up the associated costs for that. Financial aid should be considered at this point. Colleges also offer scholarships on merit and need basis for students.
● Faculty: The faculty for any programme makes the course successful. The right educator is essential for the students to succeed in the course. Faculty details are available on the official college website. Look up the faculty experience and educational achievements of all faculty. One can also contact the faculty heads through email for recommendations and tips for chosen specialisation.
● Admission process: Look up at the admission process and the eligibility criteria for the chosen course for every shortlisted college. Engineering course provides admissions through national or state level entrance tests like JEE Main, JEE advanced and MHT CET. Students with a high rank also undergo a counselling round before taking admission. The college website contains all the required information under the admission tab.
● Recommendations from teachers and peers: Regarding specialisations and shortlisted colleges talk with admissions experts or school teachers. At this stage, talking about their choices with a professor, preferably in the same field
would be of great help. Take all recommendations and arrive at a final choice for the engineering stream.
● Infrastructure: TERNA Engineering college is the only one to have an Engineering Product Innovation Center (EPIC) in Maharashtra. Make sure that the college you enroll in has effective virtual learning tools such as virtual labs, virtual machines, e-books, google classrooms, remote labs, and video learning platforms.
All engineering streams have great potential for scope, career growth and higher education. Choosing the right stream is important after considering the individual’s skills, aptitude and interests. With the right stream, candidates would be able to thrive and do well in the long run.